Sun, Mar 10|
Juliet Social Club
All She Wrote Books x Juliet Book Club — March
Want to read great books with a community of engaged book lovers? Join one of our monthly book clubs, co-hosted by Juliet Somerville!
Time & Location
Mar 10, 2024, 10:30 AM – 12:00 PM
Juliet Social Club, 263 Washington St, Somerville, MA 02143, USA
About the Event
About the Event
Join All She Wrote Books on March 10th at 10:30am at Juliet Social Club as we embark on an exploration of N.K. Jemisin's visionary collection, "How Long 'til Black Future Month?". Prepare for a discussion that ignites imaginations, challenges perspectives, and celebrates the vibrant possibilities of Black Futurism.
Seats are limited, so snag yours quick! Each ticket includes either a copy of the book or a $5 All She Wrote Books gift card.
Worried about finding the book? We've got you covered! Grab a copy through registration for the event or at Bookshop.org, or Libro.fm.
Can't make it? No worries! Let us know ASAP so we can release your spot to someone eagerly waiting on the waitlist. Don't miss out- Register now!
Remember: This event has limited capacity, so grab your ticket and claim your seat before it's too late! We can't wait to see you there! ✨
About the Book
Dive into Worlds Where Magic & Reality collide:
- Dragons soar above flood-ravaged New Orleans, echoing real-world tragedy and resilience in a chillingly poetic dance.
- A utopian parallel society observes our world, offering a thought-provoking glimpse into alternate possibilities shaped by hindsight.
- A Black mother in the Jim Crow South fights for her daughter's future against a seductive fey's impossible promises, igniting powerful conversations about racial injustice, maternal love, and hope.
- The Hugo Award-nominated "The City Born Great" witnesses a young street kid birthing the soul of an ancient metropolis, blending fantasy and social commentary in a breathtaking symphony of history and community.
About the Author
N.K. Jemisin isn't your average storyteller. She's a literary force who rewrote the rulebook, becoming the first author ever to win three consecutive Best Novel Hugo Awards for her groundbreaking Broken Earth trilogy. Her work glitters with accolades like Nebula and Locus Awards, and she's even a revered 2020 MacArthur Genius Grant Fellow. Jemisin's magic lies in the boundless creativity woven into her speculative fiction. From fantastical realms to mind-bending sci-fi, her narratives are infused with themes of resistance against oppression, the interconnectedness of marginalized spaces, and the sheer, explosive power of change.
Our Book Club Guidelines
- We strive for a thoughtful and respectful discussion of the featured book and its related themes.
- You do not have to have finished the book to participate, but we ask that you contribute to the discussion in whatever way you feel comfortable.
- We do not tolerate demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech.
- Ticket type
Ticket + Gift Card
**PLEASE READ**: Entry for 1 person to the Juliet Book Club. Includes one $5 All She Wrote gift card, to be picked up at the bookstore when you check in for the event.Price$5.00
- Ticket type
Ticket + Book
*Please read: Includes general admission to our Juliet Book Club and 1 copy of Shark Heart, to be picked up at All She Wrote Books (75 Washington St in Somerville). You will notified by email and phone when your book club order is ready for pickup.Price$20.00